The Art of Cyber War
Is the world in the midst of a cyber-war? If so, what are the implications? Join us as we explore some of the most notable recent cyber-attacks on the financial sector and draw interesting correlations with the tenets of warfare and defense as defined in The Art of War by Sun Tzu, the ancient military general, strategist and tactician.
In this webinar, we'll:
- Identify how organizations should be preparing for an information security landscape that is shaped by ideologically motivated cyber warfare rather than just opportunistic cyber-crime;
- Divulge techniques being employed to safeguard IT operations in a theatre that is witnessing ever more sophisticated attacks.
As denial of service and distributed denial of service (DoS/DDoS) attacks become more mainstream, doubling in 2013 compared to 2012, we witnessed some alarming trends. First, attackers are more commonly deploying multi-vulnerability attack campaigns - over 50% of today's attack campaigns deploy 5 or more attack vectors that target every layer of the application infrastructure (network, server and applications). The likelihood of a successful attack increases with the number of attack vectors that are being used. Moreover, multi-vulnerability attacks create confusion and demoralization in the target organization which are important features for the attackers.
Also, attackers are moving to the application layer by exhausting server and application resources using stealth attack techniques and SSL based attacks. These strikes can go undetected by traditional security tools or imitate normal user transactions that make detection impossible with traditional security tools. Gartner also predicts that by 2017, 50% of cyber attacks will use SSL as an evasive technique1. In addition, attackers' response time is getting shorter. Attackers have managed to bypass the most advanced mitigation efforts on the fly, rendering preventative tools placed at the perimeter ineffective.
1. Security Leaders Must Address Threats From Rising SSL Traffic, Jeremy D'Hoinne and Adam Hills, Gartner, December. 9, 2013
Join us for an:
- Examination of the evolving threat landscape;
- Analysis of recent Cyber Attacks on banks and financial service organizations;
- Overview of the latest attack tools and their impacts;
- Examples of how leading enterprises are deploying integrated Attack Mitigation Systems (AMS) to combat this increasing problem.
Have an account? Sign in.
You might also be interested in …